Friday, February 24, 2012

Corned Beef and Car Bombs

I didn't realize the number of Holidays we have to celebrate in February. I thought it was just the Hallmark Valentine's Day, but I recently discovered that President's day is celebrated by many, including banks, schools, government offices and trash collectors. Thank goodness the Old Bag of Nails was still open. We began our President's Day celebration prematurely on Sunday evening. When I say celebration, please know, that I mean dinner out so we (I) don't have to do dishes. They have a $5.00 Corned Beef sandwich and fried bologna sandwich special on Sunday that is well worth their price. Combine that with the excellent service we receive at the bar from Donna and the addition of craft beers on their main line (the craft beer line was overcrowded)  it is a very good thing!

I ordered the Founder's Red's Rye. Simply one of the best craft beers on the market. My beer arrived while my wife was still trying to decide on her selection. As she asked  Donna, again, what craft beers were available, I discovered that the Green Flash Hop Head Red was on tap. I convinced my wife to take my Founder's and ordered myself the Green Flash.  The Hop Head Red poured an opaque red amber that laced nicely in the glass. With the aroma, I noticed some piney hop resin with pungent citrus notes.  As I threw back the first gulp, the fresh hop flavor balanced well with malty sweetness. Not at all astringent or harsh.  I love the Founder's Red Rye, but this one might be better.  It paired well with the Corned Beef sandwich. Although it would have been fantastic with the Irish Car Bomb Brownie recipe that Donna described.......

I wish I had two mouths and three livers!

No comments:

Post a Comment